Author Topic: Russian Coins- Occupied Territories & Regional  (Read 4861 times)

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Russian Coins- Occupied Territories & Regional
« on: November 05, 2009, 10:36:22 AM »
This section deals with areas in Russian territiory, and areas under Russian occupation (both imperial and Soviet era). While some have have obvious Russian markings, some have very unique designs and characteristics inspite of Russia's presence.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Russian Coins- Occupied Territories & Regional
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 08:37:44 PM »
This first section deals with coins from SIBERIA. Siberia was home to many nomadic tribes, and in the 13th century came under the occupation of the Mongols. When the Golden Horde disbanded, the Siberian Khanate was established in the 14th century. As Russia gained power, it started to expand it's influence east of the Ural Mountains by sending in traders and Cossacks into region. Eventually Russian troops set up forts and outpost further eastward. Eventually, the Siberian Khanate was toppled. By the 16th century, Russia's control extended  to the Pacific coast. In the Tartar languange, 'Siber' translates roughly into 'The Sleeping Land' thus the name Siberia. During the reign of Ekaterina Romanov II, a mining colony was set up in the Altai Mountains. Due to a shortage of coins, a mint was set up Kolyvan to strike coins for the region. Coins were struck as early as 1763 up till 1781. Coins were issued in denominations of Poloushkas (1/4 Kopek), Dengas (1/2 Kopek), 1,2,5 and 10 Kopeks. All denominations excluding the Poloushka the regional arms bearing a crowned shield with the respective denomination written in Cyrillic supported by two sables, and 'СИБИРСКАЯ МОНЕТА/SIBERIAN MONEY' written along the rim. on the obverse. The reverse shows Ekaterina's stylised seal  in the center with crown and wreath and the intials K/M for the Kolyvan mint.

SIBERIA~1 Kopek 1771

SIBERIA~2 Kopek 1769

SIBERIA~5 Kopek 1767

SIBERIA~10 Kopek 1777
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:31:58 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 11:34:22 PM »
This section will deal with coins from the PRINCIPALITY OF MOLDAVIA & WALLACHIA. Moldavia & Wallachia had become vassals of the Ottoman Empire in 15th century, however by mid 1700's, Ottoman power had greatly diminished. As a result, Russian influence started to grow, and had occupied the region in 1739, 1769-74, and 1788-1791. The Russo-Turkish war broke out in 1768 and during this period, a special coinage was introduced. Between 1771 and 1774, coins were struck from the captured Turkish cannons at the mint in SADAGURA (now a municipality in Ukraine). Because of this, these are often called 'Sadagura Coins' by numismatists. The coins came in two denominations, 1 Para/3 Dengi and 2 Para/3 Kopek with varities for both coins. In 1774, the treaty of 'Kuchak-Kainarji' was signed ending the Russo-Turkish War.  Both coins have the crowned arms bearing two shields for both Moldavia and Wallachia with the Cyrillic legend along the rim, and the date below the arms. The reverse has the respective currency written in Cyrillic legend, outlined with a braided square.

MOLDAVIA & WALLACHIA (PRINCIPALITY)~1 Para/3 Dengi 1772 <Large Crown>

MOLDAVIA & WALLACHIA (PRINCIPALITY)~2 Para/3 Kopek 1773
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:33:31 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 10:28:33 PM »
This section deals with coins from the KHANATE OF KRIM/CRIMEA. The Khanate of Krim originated in 1441 AD and lasted until 1783. Krim was by far, the longest lasting khanate that succeeded the empire of the Golden Horde. During the majority of its existance, Krim was a vassal of the Ottoman Empire (1478-1774). However, in 1774, the Ottoman Turks were forced to surrender Krim to the Russians after their defeat during  the Russo-Turkish War which began in 1768.  Although Krim became independent of Ottoman rule, it became dependent on Russia for support.  The last leader of Krim Khan: Sahin Giray, ruled from 1777 until the territory was officially annexed to the Russian Empire in 1783. The coin posted is is 1 Kopek dated 1191 AH/1777 year 5=1782 AD. 1782 was the last coin issued under Sahin's rule, and last coin issued Krim before annexation to Russia.

KRIM/CRIMEA (KHANATE) 1 Kopek 1191 AH/1777 year 5=1782 AD
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:27:04 PM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 12:01:35 AM »
This is a beautiful example. It is on my very next one to get list.
I just love the design and history of these :Beatingheart;

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 12:20:39 AM »
This is a beautiful example. It is on my very next one to get list.
I just love the design and history of these :Beatingheart;

Siberian coins are indeed interesting. They are however getting harder to find in top grade. Also, you got to be careful as there are alot of fakes floating around for Siberian coins.  Here is another 10 Kopek specimen dated 1780. This is a rarer date than the 1777 issue. It had been harshly cleaned by the previous owner, and as a result, most of the patina had been removed. Still, it's a decent coin.

SIBERIA~10 Kopek 1780
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:23:30 AM by Zantetsuken »

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 12:54:08 AM »
I have been looking for an example above the grade fine or very fine since I posted that one.
Still haven't found one that is AU or better

Offline Satootoko

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 08:52:34 AM »
Does anyone have any of the Chinese Soviet Republic coins from the 1930's?  The only ones I've ever seen are the pictures in Krause.

They interest me because of their relationship to the Japanese Occupation Chinese coins I collect from that same era.

Offline Zantetsuken

• Top Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:04:10 AM »
Does anyone have any of the Chinese Soviet Republic coins from the 1930's?  The only ones I've ever seen are the pictures in Krause.

They interest me because of their relationship to the Japanese Occupation Chinese coins I collect from that same era.

Hi 'Satooko'. I did post a thread dealing with Chinese Soviet coins a couple months ago. They are hard to find and some can be very pricey. Here's the link: http://coinsarefun.com/forum/index.php?topic=191.0

Offline Satootoko

• Learning The Ropes
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 06:25:36 PM »
Thanks for the link.

I find it very interesting that they used the western year expressed it in Chinese characters for the date.  I don't recall seeing that on any other coins of a country using those characters.