Author Topic: Elloye Mestrell and the first milled coinage......  (Read 1833 times)

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Elloye Mestrell and the first milled coinage......
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:44:23 AM »
I was reading earlier about the first milled coinage, and the French ex-mint employee Elloye Mestrell who came to England to mill the first British coins for Queen Elizabeth.  The early milled British coins (1560-72) are spoken of, but what was Mr. Mestrell doing for coinage in Fance?  Are there other milled coins that predate the coins milled for Queen Elizabeth?

Does anyone know if there is other info that I need to dig up?   I was just curious if Mestrell had milled coinage in France before going to England. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:46:16 AM by FilthyBroke »

please visit my website - http://jetoncollector.com/index.html

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Elloye Mestrell and the first milled coinage......
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:07:30 PM »
Interesting question and topic. After a little research this is what I found.

Oh, and before I neglect to reveal Mr Mestrell ended up losing the gig in England and became a coin counterfeiter with a not so glorious demise.

In regards to the screw press designed for coin manufacturer it is noted that Leonardo Da Vinci had drawn the schematics for one (not made in Da Vinci's time put in modern times the design was used and a functioning model did result).

A German silversmith, Marx Schwab (would be interesting to find out if those are some of his descendants that established Schwab), designed and made the first functioning screw press for the manufacture of coins, this was around 1550.

Henri II of France was the first to purchase and use these presses. But, as would happen later in England, the screw press, despite the superior coins produced, would be used on lower denomination coins and at some point cease for a number of years due to the traditional coin hammers not being happy.
Politics and job protection.

It would not be until about 1645 when the coin presses truly were being used on a regular basis in some countries.

The English used the term milled for these coins as they went to what we call reeded edges to help stop of the "shaving" of coins, which was widely practiced to "steal" the metal of the coins for resale/reuse. Some English coins were reduced in weight by as much as half due to this practice.

The  original purpose of the reeded edge has no application to modern day coins made of non precious metals.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:15:58 PM by walmann »
Interested in world coins 1912,1917,1936,1937,1951,1960,1988,2008,2009

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 08:36:44 PM »

A German silversmith, Marx Schwab (would be interesting to find out if those are some of his descendants that established Schwab), designed and made the first functioning screw press for the manufacture of coins, this was around 1550.

Henri II of France was the first to purchase and use these presses.

Very interesting, I hadn't found that info yet.  Most sites reference Mestrelle's work for Elizabeth I but don't go further back.  I was curious if there were coins milled before the 1560's.  It would make sense then that there are some out there, I just don't know wouldn't to look for.  Do you know what type of coins were first attempted?  I'd love to see  what was milled before Mestrell got started in England.

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:55:19 PM »
The other screw press coins may not have been milled/reeded , I would think so but I do some digging to be sure.

It is noted that when they stopped using the first screw presses for currency coins they did continue to use them for medals. The information quickly available via the web is very disjointed and incomplete and tends to focus on very limited aspects of either the screw press or milling.

As far as websites and topics it seems pretty much ignored with the only a significant number of hits mentioning Spanish 18th century cobs and then a jump to steam power presses (the first screw presses with either human or animal powered).

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:17:03 PM »
Yeah, that's what I've been digging through, too.  I'll keep looking for info, and post anything new I come up with.

I did find it interesting that Mestrell was later hanged for counterfeiting.  I wonder the circumstances behind that?  Politics maybe?

Offline walmann

• Full Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 09:29:14 PM »
Not finding any direct mention that these french coins had graining or reeded edges but this 1556 coin from Henri II sure has the look of an early type of reed.

Offline FilthyBroke

• Expert Collector
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 09:36:39 PM »
Not finding any direct mention that these french coins had graining or reeded edges but this 1556 coin from Henri II sure has the look of an early type of reed.

Looks to me like it could have been milled on a crude planchet.  That reeding look on the rim is new to me, not what I'd expect on a hammered coin.  Not sure about the weak areas though.