Author Topic: Cherry Picked yourself lately? Post them!  (Read 1922 times)

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
Cherry Picked yourself lately? Post them!
« on: May 11, 2011, 02:08:23 AM »
I just did, had this Morgan for years and decided to image it tonight and found its  VAM-3A
Elite Clashed die ;D

You can refer to the VAM here  http://www.vamworld.com/1887-P+VAM-3A
Lets hear about yours :)

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
Re: Cherry Picked yourself lately? Post them!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:28:16 PM »
Hey Stef,
This should be a fun thread.
Sorry for these really old pics, I haven't seen this coin in more years than I can remember and
really should dig it out of the SB some day to re-image. These are the only pics I have of her.
It is the 1886-P VAM 5 Doubled 18 Polished Bar 6 ( R5)
http://www.vamworld.com/1886-P+VAM-5

Some coins are just plain "interesting"

Offline cpm9ball

• Top Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »
Last year, I received a PM from Shane, aka Kryptonitecomics on other forums. He was anxious to show me some toners that he had just acquired that would be going up on eBay soon. I made an offer for three of them which he accepted. When I got them, I discovered that the 1883-O was actually a VAM-4 O/O Top 100 in an unattributed NGC MS64 slab. I called Shane right away to tell him. His response was, "Dang, I didn't think of checking it." Shane has been a good friend for quite a while, and I would have felt the need to compensate him if it had been a very rare VAM, but fortunately, the premium I paid for the toning more than made up for it. Shane now makes it a point to check all of his slabbed purchases before he lists them for sale. Lesson learned!

Anyway, I submitted it to NGC at FUN 2011 for the attribution, and it now resides in the correct slab. I think I've posted photos of it before, but I wanted to post it one more time just to remind everyone that you "can't judge a book by its cover." I've found quite a few unattributed Top 100, Hot 50 and Hit List 40 VAM's in both NGC and PCGS slabs. Sometimes the original submitter didn't care to pay the variety fee. Other times, they probably didn't care or have the time to check for VAM's. I make this point just to remind everyone that it is always a good idea to examine your purchases carefully for the VAM's because there is still silver in them thar hills.

These photos are the original ones that Shane sent me because I'm terrible at imaging toners.

Chris
The person who can laugh at himself always laughs last.

Offline JRocco

• Full Collector
  • Karma +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:09:55 PM »
I guess this would be a self cherry pick.
I was looking through the SB a few years back and came across this coin that I, for some strange reason, forgot I had. It was a spur of the moment purchase a couple of decades prior and not looked at nor thought about afterwards.
Well it was in an old PCGS rattler graded 62. When I saw it hiding in the box I took her home to look at closer and noticed that it was undergraded and a nice re-punched date to boot. It is now in a PCGS 64 holder.

Some coins are just plain "interesting"

Offline coinsarefun

• Administrator
  • Master Collector
  • Karma +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 12:10:48 AM »
 thisthread:>
I guess this would be a self cherry pick.
I was looking through the SB a few years back and came across this coin that I, for some strange reason, forgot I had. It was a spur of the moment purchase a couple of decades prior and not looked at nor thought about afterwards.
Well it was in an old PCGS rattler graded 62. When I saw it hiding in the box I took her home to look at closer and noticed that it was undergraded and a nice re-punched date to boot. It is now in a PCGS 64 holder.

Now that's a great self cherry pick :jawdrop